SOSA: The Secretary of State Award for Outstanding Volunteerism Abroad (SOSA) was
created in 1990 by AAFSW at the suggestion of Secretary of State James Baker and Mrs.
Susan Baker. Funding for the award includes donations from former Secretaries of State,
AAFSW members, and an annual donation from the Green Family Foundation which supports
Criteria: The SOSA Award recognizes volunteer efforts at posts overseas in the following
1) Remarkable service to the mission community;
2) Outstanding activities directed towards the host country;
3) Exceptional service in emergency situations.
Evaluation factors considered in the selection process include: scope and reach of activities,
sustainability, ingenuity, and leadership. A recipient is chosen from each regional bureau for his
or her volunteer achievement.
Winners will receive a cash award of $2500, a certificate signed by the Secretary of State, and a
pin commemorating the November event. Travel to Washington for the awards ceremony will
be paid by the individual bureaus. Eligibility: All active American USG direct-hire employees,
their spouses and family members over the age of 18, their EFM domestic partners, and their
members of household (MOH) are eligible. Previous nominees can be reconsidered if an
updated summary statement is included.
Nominations and Selection Process: Nominations for all awards are not to exceed 3 pages
double spaced and must include the following information:
1) Nominee's name including middle initial;
2) Relationship to the direct-hire employee or retiree;
3) Nominee's e-mail address;
4) The nominator's name and relationship to nominee;
5) A justification for the nomination including specific actions and qualities that fulfill the award
6) Name of the nominee's hometown newspaper and U.S. representative in Congress.
Nominations for the SOSA awards may be sent to the AAFSW Office by e-mail (Word
documents only) to email@example.com .
Additional supporting materials such as letters of
commendation or photos may emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.