What are the benefits of membership?
AAFSW member benefits include:
- Membership in our popular “Livelines” Yahoo group with over 4,300 members of the Foreign Service community sharing their collective information and experience.
- Global Link, a monthly newsletter with information about AAFSW activities as well as articles of general interest to the Foreign Service community.
- Membership in the AAFSW SkillsBank, a social and professional network on LinkedIn, designed to promote member employment at post and at home.
- Free classified advertising in our Global Link newsletter and on our website.
- Invitations to speaker programs in the Benjamin Franklin Room at the Department of State, as well as monthly cultural tours and programs in the Washington, DC area of interest to the Foreign Service lifestyle.
- The AAFSW website members-only section offers numerous resources to AAFSW members. These include:
- A large archive of articles by Foreign Service authors on a variety of subjects pertaining to the lifestyle.
- Nearly twenty years of archived Global Link newsletters.
- Up-to-date information about current AAFSW programs and activities including online reservation and payment for programs.
- An AAFSW member directory in downloadable/printable PDF format.
- An upcoming “CLOs to Home” section will serve as a virtual “Washington, DC CLO office” with extensive resources for Foreign Service personnel who are transferring to the area.
- Also in the works: a Washington, DC housing database which will make our current Housing Office information available to our overseas members.
Associate members receive all the benefits of regular membership, except that Associate members cannot renew for multiple years, as their sponsorship must be re-established yearly.